Monday, November 5, 2007

Day 86 - I went so that you didn't have to

Tomorrow is the Melbourne Cup and a public holiday for us good folk in Melbourne town. Not for the rest of the state, though. Because they get...um...well, I'm sure they get another day off...maybe...let's call it "Magic Day". I'm sure that country Victoria knows how well regarded they are by the state government - indicating it or showing it in any way is just plain unnecessary.

Anyway, today saw the annual Melbourne Cup Parade in the heart of the city. Traditionally, the parade features a couple of the horses from the main race, and a few past winners. Not this year...equine influenza (horse flu for those of you not familiar with fancy-speak. By the way, a bird cage is now an 'avian detention centre' and a dog collar is a 'canine necktie').

No horses, you say? (Yes, I can hear you.) Then what is the point? Short answer: No point. Longer answer, so I can bring you photos of top notch celebrities like:



The guy from "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy".




Don't get me wrong. It's awesome that we import celebrities from overseas because ours aren't quite good enough. But if we can have celebrities from cancelled television shows then why can't we have some top shelf celebrities. Like Webster.




Oh, we also had Delta Goodrem, John So and Human Nature. It's great that Human Nature could take time out from their busy schedule of attending things that have nothing to do with them (at least Delta's singing the anthem tomorrow and John So is awesome). I wonder if a phone conversation with them would go like this:

Hello, Human Nature?
Yes?

Do you want to come to our-
Yes!

But I haven't even told you what it is or when it's on...
I'll check our diary. We can come.

Are you sure? I mean, if you're busy...
We'll be there. In fact, we can come over right now. Please let us come over. We'll bring a salad.

Um...ok.
And 4000 copies of our latest album.

There's always a catch.


No comments: