Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 94 & 95 - Weekend Edition - Teen Aged

Hello and welcome to a special Weekend Edition of the blog (meaning that I'm combining two days' worth of posting into one). Is it really 'special'? You be the judge (but be kind).

One of the greatest movies of all time is a little film called Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which came out in 1986. Here is the film summed up in a single sentence:- A high school student takes the day off school along with his girlfriend and best friend while his sister and principal try to catch him. Here is the film summed up in a single word:- Awesome.

Anyway, I recently had the opportunity to meet Allan Ruck, who played Cameron (the best friend) in the movie. I think the photo below adequately conveys the awkwardness when film star meets movie nerd.














But wait...he looks a bit older than you'd think for a man who was only a teenager in 1986. Hold on...he only played a teenager in the movie. In fact, when he was playing the 17 year old Cameron Fry, he was in fact 29 years old. The age I am right now.

In theory, if I shave off the beard and never, ever take my cap off to reveal my rapidly fleeing locks, I could play a teenager! Let's face it, the average age of the cast in Beverley Hills 90210 (set in a highschool) was not 18...not even close. Luke Perry played Dylan McKay in the series, a character that was supposedly born in October 1974 (no, I don't know this off the top of my head - thank Wikipedia). In actual fact, he was born 8 years earlier in 1966. Yeah, so when he was playing a 16/17 year old in 1990, he was actually 24. The dude obviously stayed down a couple of years.

So my proposal is this - I say that all of us aged around the 30 mark band together and cast ourselves in a new Australian teen drama. It will be brilliant. We'll feel younger, and we may even get to go to the Logies to meet Toadfish from Neighbours. Here's what I've got so far:

Title: Mount Waverley 3149

Set in fictional Mout Waverley Awesome High, a gang of older-looking teenagers learn lessons about love, life and the education system.

Cast:

Jimmy, the new kid. Age 17. Age of actor playing him: 30. Think Brandon from 90210.

Jessica, his sister. Age 15. Age of actor playing her: 29. Think Brenda from 90210.

Stan, the rebel kid. Age 17. Age of actor playing him: 32-35.

Principal Legend. Age 40. Age of actor playing him: 30, but with a beard.

Vice Principal Jill. Age 30. Age of actor playing her: 30, but also with a beard.

Jack McBrilliant. Age 17. This is my role. I envision the character of Jack to be devastatingly handsome, brilliant at everything, popular and rides a jet powered motorbike that can also travel through time. He also has a dog that can talk. Oh yeah, and Jack is also rich.

Other kids. Ages 15-18. Age of actors: 22-30. Most other kids will be played by models so that real high school kids feel inferior.

If you would like to be in Mount Waverley 3149, please add a comment below, and justify which role you would be perfect for. I am happy for you to create a new role as long as it is (a) a cliche and (b) less awesome that Jack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your style, the particular inescapable fact that your webpage is a little bit different tends to make it so useful, I get tired of discovering same-old-same-old almost all of the time. I have I just stumbled on this page by you Thank you.