Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 100 - Let the Countdown Begin

It's 100 days until I bid farewell to my mid to late twenties and say hello to the big 30. And I am totally fine with that. Yes, completely fine. So fine with it, in fact, that I have established this blog to count down the days. Rest assured, I plan to make the most of these 100 days...and hope to share it with you, the discerning reader.

I AM BETTER THAN A MONKEY

But first, a quick note on why reaching 30 should be celebrated. Here's the thing - if the boffins over at Pub Quiz Help can be believed, the average life expectancy of a monkey is only 13 years. That's right - between me and a monkey, I have already won. Freaky turtles aside, man generally kicks arse when it comes to life expectancy. Hippos, for example, generally keel over when they are around 30. Theoretically, this means that if there is a hippo at the zoo that was born at the same time as me, I could see it shuffle off this mortal coil at the same time I'm celebrating my birthday milestone. In fact, I think I'll call Werribee Zoo tomorrow and check.

For the curious, here are some other average life expectancies:
* Bottlenose dolphin - 20 (no awkward 21st speeches for Flipper)
* Pig - 10 (actually, I'm not sure how this can be true, what with bacon being so delicious)
* Mouse - 2 (ha, ha)
* Human - 75 (so I'm not even nearly half-way)




No comments: